Having a hearing loss or being hard-of-hearing means to have little hearing function in one or both ears. Simply it means to not hear very well. While everyone who has a hearing loss will not share the same exact experiences, they will no doubt share much of the pros and cons of being hard of hearing.
Yes, there are pros. :)
1. Repeatedly making others mad or irritable when asking them to repeat themselves ("Eh? What? Huh?").
2. Appearing rude or snobby (I am not ignoring you! I simply didn't hear you.).
3. It can be frustrating to be in the middle. I will never be Hearing and sometimes I am not "deaf enough".
4. Missing most of what is being said in a movie, that is if most of it is dialougue and if it is not captioned. It is tiring and frustrating to strain to hear what is being said (most actors look away while talking or there are many noisy and visual distractions, making it hard to follow what is being said).
5. Being the last one in on a joke or funny discussion within a large group of people in a noisy place (like a crowded restaurant, cafeteria, or bar). Usually when I ask about what was so funny, no one is willing to repeat it, because the moment has passed.
6. When my hearing aid suddenly goes out or stop working during an important meeting.
7. When my neck and shoulders are sore and tense after a long day of meetings and classes (from constantly straining to listen).
8. Repeating idiotic things or what I thought the other person said ("What? A robotic salami?").
9. When someone or something is unexpectedly coming at me to my left side (profoudly deaf side).
10. When people try to have a conversation with me while in another room or when I am sitting in the backseat of a car while they are in the front.
1. I have become pretty good at lip reading.
2. My hearing loss inspired me to learn sign language.
3. I can block out noise when I want to by simply turning off my hearing aid and keeping it on (it acts as a really good ear plug).
4. I can block out sounds when I sleep by sleeping on my good ear.
5. It made me who I am today.
6. I've developed an interesting accent.
7. I don't have to worry about losing my hearing when I get older and I don't have to get used to wearing hearing aids like most people will when they are older.
8. It gives me something to write about for my blog.
9. I respect and can understand others who have hearing losses.
10. I have the best of both worlds: the hearing and the deaf.
What other pros and cons are there to being hard of hearing? What are your thoughts?
I would like to hear from everyone (hearing, hard of hearing, deaf, or Deaf).
Please leave a comment!